Altibase announces that Seoul Transportation adopts Altibase for real time subway traffic control management
Use Case: Traffic Signal Control System
Current Customers: Seoul Transportation Corporation
Seoul Transportation Corporation is a public entity responsible for the city’s subway transit. The daily average number of subway transit passengers operated by the entity is 6.8 million vs. New York (5.6 million) & Paris (4.2 million). It has a total subway length of 300 km, making it the fourth longest in the world.
The corporation was in the process of overhauling its subway traffic system with a view to improving the safety and the ability to better act on emergency situations. The corporation looked for a database that could meet the following requirements:
- Since subway traffic facilities should not tolerate any system disruption/failure, they should be supported by databases with the highest degree of product stability
- 24/7 uninterrupted operation and 99.999% high availability
- Even in the event of the system going down abnormally, all data should be automatically saved and protected.
- Data should be collected and stored in real time so that prompt actions can be taken in case of system abnormalities/failures.
- The database should provide and adhere to strict technical SLAs.
- The database should have a track record of having been deployed for other mission critical applications.
- The database should be relational as all of the corporation’s systems are built on relational DBMSs.
- The database costs should be within its IT budget.
In 2018, the corporation chose Altibase after a series of BMTs of various databases.
- Altibase’s previous deployments in other subway traffic systems was a major appeal.
- Altibase’s in-memory capabilities allow for real time data collection and anaylsis.
- Using Altibase’s move technology, data is stored on disk when it become stale and historical.
- Database induced system downtime has been eliminated with Altibase’s HA and disaster recovery solutions that have features of in-memory based real time replication for synchronous/asynchronous data duplication and in-memory based real time backup and recovery.
- Altibase’s pricing met the corporation’s budget requirement.
- Altibase provides hybrid partitioned tables that can manage a large set of data log while simultaneously ensuring high performance.
- Altibase has a demonstrated history of providing glitch free operation in the past 10 years in the all subway traffic signal control systems it has served.
- Altibase’s active-active and active-standby replication function allows for stable and interruption-free operation through data duplication in the event of any system failure/outage.
- The corporation is now able to back up its data through Altibase’s checkpoint image file and redo log file.
- Data loss could be prevented via Altibase’s durability assurance even with abnormal DBMS shutdown.
After nearly 20 years as a closed source database, Altibase is now open source, and that includes its state-of-the-art sharding.