What is an Enterprise Grade Database?
Altibase is a high performance, enterprise grade database management system (DBMS). But what exactly does enterprise grade mean?
Enterprise customers are almost always the most discerning customers. For mission-critical applications, mere minutes of downtime can translate into millions of dollars in losses. While some companies are often willing to assume some risks by adopting the latest and sometimes unproven technologies, enterprise clients tend to take a much more calculated approach to adoption. Enterprise clients demand the following:
- High quality standards and stability
- High quality documentation and 24/7 technical support availability
- Strong functionality and ability to interoperate with other systems
- Ability to scale effectively with demanding and/or very large workloads
- Robust disaster recovery and high availability features
- Quality reference customers
- Experience with Fortune Global 500 companies
For these reasons, many database companies find it difficult to penetrate the enterprise database market. It is impossible to deny that the value proposition of open source databases is an enormous advantage over legacy systems. Thousands of companies have undertaken projects to migrate from legacy systems such as Oracle over to alternatives such as MySQL, Postgres, etc. And many of them have done so successfully with tremendous cost savings.
But with such obvious cost savings, why haven’t more enterprises switched over entirely to open source databases? The reality is that the vast majority of enterprises are unwilling to risk their most mission-critical systems on open source products with questionable support. Open source database adoption at major enterprises is almost always solely for non-mission-critical systems.
Companies with mission-critical systems need the security and peace of mind provided by strict SLAs, technical support availability, and responsiveness. Unfortunately, most open source companies simply do not have the resources or the experience to deliver on this front. The cost savings do not always justify the downtime or compliance risks. In addition, the ability to interoperate with other core systems is a significant cause for concern.
This situation has left enterprises without any attractive and/or viable options for decades. Stay with legacy databases and pay exorbitant costs for stability, accountability and support? Or switch to open source databases and take the risk of being hung out to dry during a disaster situation?
Now, there is a third option. Altibase is already one of the premier database providers in the APAC market. Unlike most of its open source competitors, Altibase has 17 years of experience in servicing over 600 enterprise customers including some Fortune Global 500 companies.
- Altibase has 17 years of experience in producing, selling and supporting mature DBMS solutions to over 600 enterprise clients.
- Altibase has been the pioneer in the in-memory and hybrid database spaces in the past 17 years.
- Altibase provides and adheres to strict technical SLAs to guarantee peace of mind and accountability.
- Altibase has the highest customer satisfaction scores in the DBMS industry.
- Altibase has an impressive reference customer base including HP, Samsung, Hyundai, China Mobile, E*Trade, etc. (see the full list here)