WHAT IS A HYBRID DATABASE?
Jun 23, 2018
A hybrid database is a database management system that is a balanced database management system that offers high performance data processing in main memory with the vast storage capabilities of physical disk. A hybrid database has both in-memory database features and on-disk database features in a single unified engine. As a result, data can be stored and manipulated in main memory alone, on physical disk alone or a combination of both. The integrated combination of both database types allows for unrivaled flexibility and robust functionality.
Altibase was the first commercially available true hybrid database in the world and has served over 600 enterprise clients including 8 Fortune Global 500 companies since 1999. Altibase’s hybrid architecture allows for utilization of memory tables for high performance and disk tables for economical storage and consequently eliminates the need to purchase an in-memory database and a disk resident database seperately.
Working in a true hybrid environment provides significant benefits over both in-memory and disk-resident databases.
To fully understand why, it is important to understand the respective benefits of in-memory and disk-resident databases.
In-memory databases are almost always significantly faster than any disk-resident database. In addition, the fact that data resides directly in RAM means that response times and latency are extremely low (microsecond scale). However, the downside is that RAM is significantly more expensive than traditional hard disks, and also has smaller storage capacity.
In contrast, disk-resident databases generally have fairly poor performance. This is because disk I/O is very expensive, and the architecture of the database often spends a lot of CPU resources optimizing disk access patterns. However, disk-resident databases have immense storage capacity and this storage is fairly cheap.
This is why a hybrid engine is so attractive. By combining an in-memory database and a disk-resident database into one solution, you effectively get all the benefits and eliminate all the disadvantages. Need high performance? Use memory tables. Need lots of storage? Use disk tables.
Other database solutions try to emulate this architecture, sometimes by using a different IMDB as a caching layer for their disk database. But the implementation is often complex, buggy and expensive due to the need to maintain multiple disparate database licenses.
With Altibase, you get all of these advantages in one easy-to-use solution. In addition, the engine is truly unified in the sense that you can perform operations such as joins between memory tables and disk tables without issues.
This functionality is at the heart of why Altibase has so many satisfied customers worldwide. The following case studies have hybrid architecture usages of Altibase.
- Automated Taxi Dispatch Service – KOREA Transportation Safety Authority (TS) : operations for memory tables and disk tables without any additional solutions
- Smart City Project – A Small Provincial City : Altibase’s hybrid mode avoided extra license and maintenance fees.
Altibase – Downloading is Believing.
Combines the benefits of in-memory speed
and on-disk storage in a single relational database
Support for Varied Workloads
- Real time access to time critical hot data
- Access to historical data for audit or analytics
- Complex transactions through integrated data
- Easy bidirectional data movement between memory and disk tables
- Joins between memory and disk tables
Flexible Deployment Mode
- In-memory only
- On-disk only
- Hybrid (memory and disk tables)
- Log-based, TCP/IP replication
- Additional layer of durability
- Adaptive consistency (Synchronous vs. Asynchronous)
- Non-stop service architecture (Active-Active vs. Active-Standby)
- Near standalone replication performance
- 96% Active-Standby
- Near linear async scaling
- Conflict detection and resolution
- Flexible load balancing strategy
Robust Driver Set
- .NET & Entity Framework
- Embedded SQL
- Perl DBD
Support for Common Communication Protocols
- TCP/IP (IPv4 and IPv6)
- Unix Domain Socket
Productivity and Administration
- iSQL (Command line SQL Utility)
- Orange for Altibase(GUI SQL Utility, WareValley )
- Replication Manager (GUI Replication Utility )
- altiComp (Command line Comparing database Utility )
- altiProfile (Command line Profiling database Utility)
- altiMon (Command line Monitoring database Utility)
Interoperability and Migration
- Migration Center (GUI Migration Utility)
- aExport (Command line Migration Utility )
- iLoader (Command line Data Import/Export Utility )
- oraAdaptor (Data transfer for Oracle Utility)