Samsung Electronics deployed Altibase after extensive benchmark testing for its entire semiconductor line to reduce error, downtime, and waste.
Use Case: Yield Management System (YMS)
Current Customers: Samsung Electronics and Samsung Display
Samsung Electronics is a global leader in manufacturing various electronic products ranging from semiconductors and home appliances to smartphones.
Samsung Electronics could not optimize its revenue model because its Yield Management System (YMS) was slow and erratic. The stale results undermined the entire strategic manufacturing process.
- The YMS took two hours to get a yield analysis result. With a maximum of just twelve analytical results per day, any operative, proactive strategy was stymied.
- Samsung Electronics could not properly navigate the system’s onerous user interface. As such, it consistently took nearly 10 minutes to simply start a yield analysis.
- Samsung Electronics sought a DBMS that was equipped with high performance, rich functionality and industry leading reliability.
Altibase met all of Samsung Electronics’ requirements. Samsung Electronics was fortified with a performance increase of over 10 times in comparison to its legacy on-disk DBMS. Samsung Electronics implemented its YMS on feature-rich Altibase with ease in 2009.
- Numerous systems at Samsung Electronics have been bolstered by Altibase’s reliability, speed and rich functionality for nearly 13 years.
- During that time, Samsung Electronics witnessed Altibase’s best-in-class reliability. As a result, Samsung Electronics integrated Altibase into its own YMS as well as numerous other systems and has achieved full optimization.
- Samsung Electronics is armed with the ability to get a complete result analysis in 10 minutes (one minute of operation time) in parametric statistics task of YMS. And, TIBCO Spotfire is integrated with Altibase as a business intelligence tool for this task.
- Samsung Electronics has further deployed Altibase in its semiconductor, OLED and LCD production processes. It possesses fully optimized yield analysis, data management and defect classification allowing for adjustments to production processes on the fly.
- Samsung Electronics is continuing the propagation of Altibase with procedures in place to integrate master data management and supply chain management and global authentication into its manufacturing execution system.
 Samsung Electronics sought a DBMS that was 10 times faster than its existing DBMS with rich features including, but not limited to, vast storage capacity of on-disk DBMS, large object binary data type, stored procedure and mandatory analytic functions.
 Forrester Research quantified the “real-cost” of reliability or lack thereof. The study showed that 10-hour outage at DELL could result in 83 million dollar loss while 33-hour of downtime at a major chip maker could result in 275 million dollar loss.
 Based on standard benchmark test results
 Altibase volatile memory table is used for parametric statistics task of YMS. And, the final result of this parametric statistics task is saved to Altibase disk table. This kind of usage is because Altibase volatile memory table is faster than normal memory table, but it doesn’t provide data durability. Altibase volatile memory table is usually used for a temporary data handling task that requires fatest speed.
Altibase – Downloading is Believing.