With the geometric rise in online gaming and respective strains on data processing, Sportstoto chose Altibase for its scalability and real time expertise which produced a 38% increase in revenue within the first year after initial deployment.
Use Case: Betting
Current Customers: Sportstoto
Sportstoto is a government-regulated consignee of South Korea’s sports betting industry. Its primary mission is to create funding solutions to promote and evangelize Korean sports. It is headed by the Korea Sports Promotion Foundation and is regulated by the Ministry of Sports, Culture and Tourism.
The popularity of sanctioned sports betting grew geometrically from its origin in 1997. With the growth and parallel strains on IT, Sportstoto quickly realized the limitations of its on-disk DBMS. New subscribers demanded greater functionality and a more robust selection of gaming choices.
- The overloaded, inflexible DBMS disallowed Sportstoto’s personnel to manage or maintain the system efficiently.
- Sportstoto was plagued with service interruptions, leaving users frustrated and in the dark.
- The planned release of significantly more sophisticated games with greater than 400% increases in transaction load met grave uncertainty.
Sportstoto deployed Altibase in 2007. Altibase’s built-in HA, replication and hybrid capability allowed Sportstoto to provide uninterrupted gaming services. It also realized lower TCO and the ability to scale without issue.
- Sportstoto’s revenue increased by 38.6% within 1 year of Altibase deployment.
- Average processing speed increased by 628% (1,000 TPS) throughout Sportstoto’s data-driven events.
- Game information retrieval: 7.34 times faster
- User statistics retrieval: 7.89 times faster
- Refunding: 4.13 times faster
- Issuing betting tickets: 5.75 times faster
- Sportstoto reduced its spending significantly by utilizing 2TB of historical gaming data on-disk with Altibase’s hybrid feature.
- By eliminating the need to utilize a supplemental on-disk DBMS to support its historical data, Sportstoto increased its resource efficiency by 54%, marking a reduction in application processes from 200 to 130.
- Sportstoto was able to capitalize on efficiencies and reduced CAPEX, translating them into net profit of $82.1 million in 2007, up by 54% over a year earlier.
- Sportstoto’s objectives and efficacy remain well-positioned and without impediment.
 Sportstoto was positioned to release its new marquis game, Proto. It was a complex, fixed odds game with multiple underlying permutations.
 2006 revenue: $176.6 million, 2007 revenue: $244.8 million.