Samsung Electronics adopts Altibase for its presence service which accepts, stores and distributes presence information of users' location and status.
Use Case: Presence service
Current Customers: Samsung Electronics
Samsung Electronics is a global leader in manufacturing various electronic products ranging from semiconductors and home appliances to smartphones. Samsung Electronics also competes in the global telecommunications equipment market. its competitors include Ericsson, Nokia and Huawei.
Samsung Electronics recently reviewed a variety of new technologies and products related to presence service with a view to providing it to mobile service providers. Presence service is a service that receives and stores user information and confirms presence and location of online presence.
It is a service requiring a high level of stability and zero tolerance of even a momentary error or interruption. Samsung Electronics found its existing legacy disk-resident databases incapable of suiting its needs.
- The new DBMS should be capable of handling such complex queries as redirection and proxying in real time while providing a high level of stability.
- No data should be lost while it is collected and transmitted to presence servers.
- The collection of user state information delivered to the presence server and the data transmission should not be lost.
- The new DBMS should be highly scalable and be able to handle large sets of data. In providing presence service, it is often the case that a large volume of messages causes a considerable burden on the network.
- The legacy disk-resident DBMSs proved to be incapable of meeting the requirements particularly when data has to be stored, manipulated and processed in real time.
After months of undertaking BMTs of various databases, Samsung Electronics chose Altibase on the basis of its performance, reliability and competitive pricing.
- Altibase’s in-memory capabilities proved to be second to none, providing extremely high throughput and low latency measured in microseconds.
- Altibase’s hybrid architecture was another compelling factor. By utilizing Altibase’s disk database portion, Samsung Electronics could store and process an unlimited amount of data at a fraction of the cost of in-memory databases.
- Altibase is highly scalable with its scale-out technology, sharding. For Samsung Electronics, this is meant for flexibility and cost savings when it would have to deal with a huge influx of data resulting from a rise in users and services.
- Altibase’s ability to provide future releases and patches compatible with Samsung Electronics’ existing systems was another plus factor.
- Samsung Electronics highly valued the fact that Altibase has a long history (20 years) of handling various (over 6000 deployments) mission critical applications in a variety of industries.
- The services were improved with better quality and stability based on collection and process of data in real time.
- By utilizing Altibase’s sharding, more services were added without burdening its systems and bearing additional costs which might have occurred with addition of expensive high-end servers.
- Lower TCO was possible with Altibase’s hybrid feature. Altibase’s disk database portion was deployed for storage of rarely accessed and historical data.
- Session information is lot lost even when the users connected to the wired/wireless network change access points or change devices so that the call quality is guaranteed.
- More value-added services utilizing users’ locations are added, leading to increases in revenues and profits.
Altibase – Downloading is Believing.