Republic of Korea Marine Corps adopts Altibase for its warfare exercise simulation models of landing and ground operations. Altibase was chosen over Oracle.
Use Case: Simulation Model
Current Customers: Republic of Korea Marine Corps
The Republic of Korea Marine Corps (ROKMC), also known as the ROK Marine Corps, is the marine corps of South Korea. ROKMC was founded as a suppression operations force against communist partisans in 1949.
The simulation model is an aggregate resolution simulation system used to support the training of the marines in war fighting principles and concepts. The model enables participants to represent and exercise a wide variety of combat scenarios, particularly in shore landing and ground operation.
- For the model to be effective, the seamless integration and sharing of data is a must.
- To prevent any catastrophic casualties and losses, the database should allow for a high degree of stability and accuracy without allowing a single error, not to mention downtime.
- The collection, analysis and dissemination of data should be executed in real time.
- Its database should be compatible and interoperable with other core systems of ROKMC.
ROKMC has actively tested various databases. After months of rigorous testing between Oracle and Altibase, ROKMC chose Altibase. Areas for its consideration include product maturity and stability, performance and, particularly, cost competitiveness.
- Altibase’s in-memory capabilities are meant for storing, manipulating and processing of data in real time.
- Altibase is a hybrid database. Altibase stores data according to the temperature of data. Cold data (historical data) is stored on disk and hot data (frequently used data) is stored in memory. Through this hybrid architecture, Altibase enables real time access to large volumes of data while simplifying high-intensity data processing. This meant ROKMC’s less dependence on Oracle for immense storage capacity of disk-resident databases.
- ROKMC requires a high level of data security and integrity. Altibase supports high level security algorithms and is fully compatible with data encryption and data access control solution.
- Almost all of ROKMC’s systems are built on relational feature sets, mostly those of Oracle’s. Altibase is compatible and interoperable with Oracle.
- Migration between relational database is exponentially less complex, and the migration from Oracle to Altibase was easy and straightforward.
- Altibase’s SQL compliance made it simple for ROKMC’s DBAs to learn and administrate Altibase.
- There was no need to hire new DBA resources to handle completely different database paradigms such as NoSQL.
- The model has so far been executed smoothly without experiencing no errors and system downtime.
- ROKMC utilizes Altibase’s in-memory capabilities and has been enabled to improve data processing speed over 10 times.
- Altibase allows for high performance and cost savings while simultaneously adhering to relational paradigms and principles.
- ROKMC has lowered its TCO to a fraction of Oracle’s cost.
Altibase – Downloading is Believing.