Altibase fortified China Telecom with the ability to bill clients in real time, resulting in more profitability and enhanced customer satisfaction.
Use Case: Billing, Call Detail Record (CDR) Processing
Current Customers: China Telecom, China Unicom, China Mobile, KT, SKT, and LG Uplus
China Telecom is the second largest mobile service provider in China. With over 200 million subscribers, China Telecom provides robust solutions in nearly every facet of telecommunications.
China Telecom utilized Oracle TimesTen to operate its Account Balance Management (ABM) system to administer subscriber accounts. In 2009, China Telecom grew increasingly uncomfortable with its Oracle TimesTen platform for two crucial reasons.
- China Telecom found that Oracle’ TimesTen’s pricing was too high.
- China Telecom was dissatisfied with Oracle’s technical support and related services.
China Telecom vetted the top high performance in-memory database products and conducted a benchmark test on Oracle TimesTen, IBM solidDB and Altibase.
After the benchmark tests, China Telecom chose Altibase for the following reasons:
- Better data durability in system failure situations
- Highest reliability among the leading database products
- The ability to simultaneously realize high performance, low latency and HA
- Lower TCO
- Industry-leading technical support
- China Telecom possesses fail-safe, non-stop service, using Altibase active-standby replication.
- Altibase’s technical support allowed China Telecom to be efficient while avoiding frustration and downtime.
- Migration was particularly easy: existing ODBC applications were migrated to work with Altibase in less than one month.
- Altibase allowed China Telecom to scale with virtually no boundaries.
- The new ABM system supported by Altibase’s robust functionality permitted China Telecom to focus on growing its business.
 One critical determinant in choosing a DBMS vendor was the ability to avoid data loss under any circumstances.
 In the Fujian province, the number of subscribers grew rapidly from 6.5 million to 10 million without significant increases in system load or resultant degradation.